So I made this for the first time a few months ago as a way to save money because myself and Suzi found ourselves constantly buying guacamole. We use it for the yummy Nacho dip, as well as on its own with some chips when watching a movie on the couch! It took a few goes to get right I won’t lie, first off I didn’t use enough avocado, then not enough garlic and so on but I am humble enough to admit that I have now come up with a fool proof recipe for fresh, tasty guaca.
Makes 1 large bowl
2 large, ripe Avocados
2 cloves of garlic
1/2 medium onion
1/2 medium size red chilli
1 small tomato
Handful of fresh coriander
Salt & Pepper
1) Finely chop the onion and all of the garlic ( It sounds like a lot but trust me!) Chop the tomato and chilli ( I use a full chilli for a slightly spicy guaca.)
3) Place everything into a food processor and pulse for 10 seconds.
4) Cut open your avocados by slicing down the middle and twisting. To take out the stone use a large sharp knife, hit the stone with the blade and wiggle stone free ( do not throw the stone away). It’s essential to have fully ripe avocados meaning they are soft when slight pressure is applies to the flesh.
5) Scoop out the flesh and add straight to the blender. To this add the juice of one lime, yes all of the lime, it’s essential! Give a quick pinch of salt & pepper and start to blend.
6) Blend for 30secs and then give the mixture a stir to distribute everything evenly, easier in a food processor but for blenders it can take a few mins. Blend until the guacamole is nice and slightly chunky. If you don’t have a blender and like your guacamole slightly chunky, just mash all the ingredients together with a spoon, it works just as well.
7) Place mixture in a large bowl. Finely chop the coriander and stir into the guacamole. A tip is to place the avocado stones in the bowl with the fresh guacamole as they help keep it fresh for longer, avoiding that un-appealing brown fresh guacamole can go after a while. Chill in the fridge for an hour if possible but still good eaten straight away. Enjoy!!!